All About Tattoo Removal: When is Tattoo Removal More Difficult and What are the Alternatives?
The process of removing a tattoo or two is an often sought after procedure. Most physicians will say that the most effective tattoo removal method is a laser treatment. However, there are other options available, especially if you have a “hard to remove” tattoo.
Why Some Tattoos Are Harder to Remove
When you start considering tattoo removal, you should be aware that some may be harder to remove than others. The effectiveness of removal can depend on different factors. For instance, a professionally done tattoo has often been applied deeper into the skin at even levels. This can make the tattoo easier to remove in some cases; however, it can also make it harder because the tattoo ink is usually denser.
The colors of the tattoo can also determine the removal difficulty. Green, blue, and black colors are easier to remove, while harder colors include white, yellow, red, and orange.
Newer tattoos are also harder to remove. Older tattoos have usually faded, making them easier to remove. Other factors that may make tattoo removal more difficult include:
• Size — A larger tattoo will require more removal treatments
• Location — Tattoos located in areas that have a limited blood supply
• Smoking — Removal is more difficult in those who smoke
• Skin Color — Removal is harder in those with lighter skin tones
• Layered Tattoos — Full removal of these types of tattoos can be difficult
Tattoo Removal Methods
As we stated, the most effective tattoo removal method is laser therapy. While effective, it should be noted that several treatment sessions will be required. Other removal methods include:
• Dermabrasion — This procedure involves taking away the top layers of the skin to remove the ink. Abrasion is usually performed using sandpaper, acids, or even salt and a rotating brush.
• Excision — This process entails using a scalpel to actually cut away portions of the skin. The tattoo is excised with the wound then being sutured shut. This procedure is recommended only for smaller tattoos due to the high risk of unsightly scarring.
Skin & Vein Center
The doctors and staff at Skin and Vein Center are here to help you with any tattoo removal requests you may have. We take each case individually and help each client manage their expectations about the removal process and results.
If you are interested in tattoo removal, we urge you to schedule a consultation with us to discuss your options and expected results.