BCC Skin Cancer
SCC Skin Cancer
Skin Cancer Screening
Skin cancer is one of the most prevalent types of cancers. Fair-skinned individuals who easily sunburn have the greatest risk of developing skin cancer.
Other risk factors include:
• Use of tanning devices
• Family history
• Repeated X-ray exposure
• Scarring from burns or disease
• Occupational exposure to coal, tar, or arsenic
If you are in one of these risk groups, it is important to develop a routine to check your body for any skin changes or superficial skin cancer signs. Dermatologists say using the ABCDs of skin cancer is one of the best methods of early detection. Check for the following with any moles or spots during your skin cancer screening:
• Asymmetry: One half is unlike the other
• Border: Irregular, scalloped, or poorly defined border
• Color: Varies from one area to another, shades of tan and brown or black; sometimes white, red, or blue.
• Diameter: While melanomas are usually larger than 6 millimeters in diameter, they can be smaller.
Treatment for Skin Cancer Treatment
There are different types of skin cancers including basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma. Depending on the type of skin cancer, there are many different types of skin cancer treatment and surgeries available including:
• Simple skin cancer removal and excision
• Curettage and electrodesiccation
• Mohs surgery
• Lymph node surgery
• Photodynamic therapy (PDT)
• Laser surgery
If you notice a mole that looks different or changes, itches, or bleeds, you should contact one of the dermatologists at The Skin & Vein Center immediately. We can also help determine if you are at risk for these types of skin cancers. Call us at 800-400-VEIN to schedule a consultation or speak to one of our dermatologists in person.
We treat all dermatological conditions and perform everything from minor procedures to very advanced procedures including large excisions and Rosacea Treatment. We are also experts in vein treatment. We treat patients of all ages and we accept most insurances.