|Laser Skin Resurfacing: At a Glance|
|Preparation||Topical anesthetic cream, with possibly a mild sedative|
|Procedure||A laser vaporizes the outer layer of skin, leaving a new surface making you look refreshed and rejuvenated|
|Length of Procedure||An hour to an hour and a half|
|Recovery or Downtime||As little as 1 week depending on depth of treatment. A pink/redness of the skin may appear and can last for weeks or months.|
|Results||Fresher, younger looking skin|
Laser Skin Resurfacing Procedures
There are many benefits to laser skin resurfacing including:
Laser skin resurfacing can remove fine lines, as well as smooth out deep creases that are a result of age, exposure of environmental elements, smoking, and stress. The areas mainly targeted by this procedure include between and around the eyes, the sides of the mouth, and the surface of the forehead.
At The Skin & Vein Center, we use a new generation of resurfacing lasers — the Active FX (CO2 Laser resurfacing). This laser produces superior results when treating moderate to deep wrinkles, as well as fine lines and uneven pigment. During an initial consultation, your medical history, age, skin color, and condition will be reviewed to see if you are a candidate for fractional Co2 laser skin resurfacing. Other laser resurfacing procedures may be recommended to ensure that you receive desired and long-lasting results.
Preparation and Procedure
There is no required preparation for laser skin resurfacing.
The procedure will last between an hour to an hour and a half. A topical anesthetic cream is applied and allowed to sit for about half an hour. While discomfort during the procedure is usually mild, a mild sedative may be given before the procedure.
During the procedure, a laser is moved across the surface of the skin. The laser emits a beam of energy that heats and vaporizes the tissues of the outer layer of the damaged skin, leaving surrounding healthy tissue unaffected.
After Laser Resurfacing
After the procedure, you can expect to feel a sensation similar to a sunburn. You may also experience some swelling. You will be given care instructions that can include ice, cleansing, and topical products to aid the healing process. Depending on the type of laser resurfacing implemented, downtime can be as little as one week. Also, pinkness of the skin may be experienced, and will last between two weeks or up to four months depending on the deepness of the treatment.
Laser Skin Resurfacing FAQ
- What is laser skin resurfacing?
- This procedure uses a CO2, high-tech laser to remove fine lines and smooth out deep creases on your face.
- Who is a candidate for laser skin resurfacing?
- Candidates for laser skin resurfacing include those with fine lines or wrinkles or shallow scars from acne. If you have active acne or very dark skin, you may not be a good candidate.
- What is the laser skin resurfacing procedure?
- A laser vaporizes the outer layer of skin, creating a new surface for a refreshed and rejuvenated look.
- What kind of anesthesia is used during laser skin resurfacing?
- A topical anesthetic cream, along with a mild sedative if necessary will be used.
- How can I prepare for laser skin resurfacing?
- There is no special preparation required.
- What can I expect during laser skin resurfacing?
- A laser is moved across the skin’s surface. The beam of energy heats and vaporizes the outer layer of damaged skin, leaving the surrounding healthy tissue unaffected.
- What can I expect post-procedure?
- You may feel a sensation similar to a sunburn. You may also have some swelling. You will be given care instructions that may include cleansing, topical products, and ice packs.
- What is the recovery time for laser skin resurfacing?
- The recovery time can be as little as one week, depending on depth of treatment. Redness or pinkness may occur and can last for weeks or months.
- What are the risks associated with laser skin resurfacing?
- Potential risks include burning, scarring, changes in pigmentation, and bacterial infection.
- What is the cost for laser skin resurfacing?
- The cost for laser skin resurfacing will be discussed at the time of the pre-operative visit.