Many people have already discovered the great benefits of ditching the razor in favor of laser hair removal. Once you’ve made the decision to take advantage of all that this treatment has to offer as well, you’ll need to start getting ready for your first session. There isn’t much required of patients, but taking a few steps to prepare will ensure that you get the most out of your hair reduction efforts.
Steps to Prepare & What to Avoid Before Treatment
Your doctor will recommend using the following tips to prepare for your laser hair removal.
- Shave: Either the day of or day prior to your appointment you will want to thoroughly shave the area that is to be treated. This will reduce the risk of pain and burning, otherwise, the laser will target the hair that is still on top of the skin’s surface, which leads to discomfort.
- Consider medication use: Oftentimes, medical professionals will suggest waiting to do laser hair removal if certain supplements or photosynthesizing medications have been in use. In addition, other medicines can make the skin more sensitive or interfere with treatment, so it’s best to discuss everything you’re taking with your doctor.
- Stop plucking and waxing: About a month before your session, you will need to stop any hair removal techniques you’re currently utilizing that take hair out at its root. Plucking, waxing, or applying depilatories won’t leave any follicles for the laser to target.
- Discontinue tanning: Whether you usually tan in a bed or in the sun, you will have to take a break until your sessions are completed. Darker skin absorbs more laser heat, and this increases the possibility of skin damage. Sun exposure should be avoided for four to six weeks before your treatment schedule.
Questions to Ask During Your Consultation
Not all facilities that offer laser hair removal are created equal. It’s crucial to find a medical team that you can place your confidence in and that has a positive track record for this treatment. That’s why it’s vital to ask certain questions during your consultation before moving forward, including:
- How experienced are you in laser hair removal?
- What type of laser technology do you use?
- What are the risks?
- What factors can affect the results?
Laser hair removal has proven to be a successful method for eliminating unwanted hair. If you are interested in learning more about this treatment and the procedure, our professional staff at Skin & Vein Center will be happy to set up a consultation and help you determine if this is the right solution for you.