Laser Hair Removal
Conveniently located to serve the areas of Fenton, Sterling, Livonia and San Diego, CA
Lumenis Splendor X is a powerful laser system that uses the latest combined beam technology to rid patients of unwanted hair in one swift, in-office procedure. Powered by focused light energy, our laser hair removal treatment can help you keep your skin feeling smooth and looking great!
Shaving any part of the body can be an annoying chore for many people. Hair grows quickly. Emerging hairs can turn to prickly stubble fast. And, without other, more permanent solutions, repeated shaving can cause skin irritation and discomfort. Depilatory creams can work to remove hair, but they are often not the easiest to apply and can have a less than pleasing odor. That’s why so many people choose laser hair removal. It’s fast, effective, and best of all, it lasts!
At Skin & Vein Center, dermatologist Dr. Eric Seiger helps patients achieve silky smooth skin with a variety of the latest and most effective treatments. Call (800) 400-8346 or fill out an inquiry form to book a personal consultation at our Fenton, Sterling Heights, or Livonia offices.
- 1 About Hair Removal
- 2 How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
- 3 Blend X Technology
- 4 Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
- 5 Candidates for Laser Hair Removal
- 6 Personal Consultation
- 7 Preparation
- 8 Laser Hair Removal Procedure
- 9 Recovery
- 10 Cost of Laser Hair Removal in Detroit
- 11 References
About Hair Removal
Shaving can be irritating, waxing and electrolysis can be painful, and hair removal creams can be unreliable and feel unpleasant. So, it’s natural to want a more efficient way to get rid of unsightly hair. Nowadays, there are many different laser technologies with a wide variety of cosmetic uses. These machines replace time and labor-intensive methods of hair removal, the latter of which are a huge inconvenience for many people. A wide selection of lasers and Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) systems are available at most skin specialists’ offices. And many would agree that these lasers are the best option for long-term hair reduction. (1)
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Laser hair removal is effective on a wide range of skin types. And, a reaction known as selective photothermolysis is the reason why it works so well!
All lasers produce energy. The energy from a laser can be altered by adjusting the wavelength of the beam. When the laser is calibrated at certain wavelengths, it produces heat. These wavelengths range from 600 to 1200 nanometers (nm). (2) The heat produced can target the melanin in the hair shaft and other areas. The hair and its surroundings are selectively damaged as the melanin absorbs the energy. This causes the hair to shed and stops the follicle from producing hair at the same rate as before.
Stages of Laser Hair Removal:
- The target hair is visible on the surface of the skin.
- Laser energy is applied, which heats the melanin.
- This melanin heating also heats the surrounding hair follicle.
- The hair follicle is weakened or destroyed.
- Hair sheds from the damaged follicle.
Skin & Vein Center is popular! See Dr. Seiger and his team in the media on our website!
What’s My Skin Type?
Use the Fitzpatrick Scale to find out your skin type:
- Type I: Light, Pale White (always burns)
- Type II: White, Fair (usually burns, tans with difficulty)
- Type III: Medium White to Olive (sometimes burns, tans with some difficulty)
- Type IV: Olive to Moderate (rarely burns, tans easily)
- Type V: Brown to Dark Brown Skin (very rarely burns, tans very easily)
- Type VI: Very Dark Brown to Black (never burns, tans very easily)
Blend X Technology
Lasers work when light energy is focused through an optical material like glass or crystal. Splendor X uses a binary system of two crystals for optimal results. Its customizable Blend X beam is a combination of neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet (Nd:YAG) and Alexandrite – two well-known, highly effective laser crystals used in cosmetic procedures. These laser wavelengths are synchronized and customized to allow for precision hair removal.
- Alexandrite Wavelength: 755 nm, highly absorbed in melanin, good for fairer skin tones (Fitzpatrick 1, 2 and 3).
- Nd:YAG Wavelength: at 1064 nm, lower absorption by melanin, good for darker skin tones (Fitzpatrick 4, 5 and 6).
The Splendor X platform allows patients the opportunity to undergo one of the most effective laser hair removal treatments available. With 250W output power, the Splendor X laser has a rapid skin coverage rate with no “hot spots.” What’s more, it can be customized to fit a wide range of skin tones.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
- It’s Fast: Laser hair removal is one of the most time-efficient ways to get rid of unwanted hair in a more permanent way. Sessions can last anywhere between a few minutes and an hour or more, depending on the area of treatment. What’s more, once it’s done, it’s done for a considerable amount of time!
- It’s Precise: Laser hair removal pinpoints the troublesome hair and the follicle around it at wavelengths that leave surrounding tissue minimally affected.
- Fewer Ingrowns: In some cases, pseudofolliculitis barbae (PFB) can occur, leaving unsightly bumps that don’t go away easily, because a hair is trapped beneath the surface of the skin. (3) Many people know these as ingrown hairs. This is particularly apparent in people with curly hair types, but can be drastically reduced with laser hair removal.
- No More Shaving: Tired of constantly having to shave to maintain smooth skin? With laser hair removal, you don’t have to put your skin through that over and over. After just one session, you’ll notice the difference between constantly shaving and the hassle-free, longer-lasting results of laser hair removal.
- Skin Safe: Razor burn, or traumatic folliculitis is an annoying but common occurrence in men and women. It can be itchy and uncomfortable. With laser hair removal, this can’t and won’t happen!
- Cost Effective: Laser hair removal means you won’t have to renew razors and shaving products or keep buying expensive hair removal cream.
- Zero Downtime: A laser hair removal procedure is in-office and requires no downtime on the part of the patient. That means you can get on with your daily tasks immediately afterwards!
Candidates for Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal works best on thicker, darker hair in people with lighter skin tones. If you have a darker skin tone, we may recommend another effective hair removal treatment to get the best results. Similarly, if your hair is very light, the laser may not easily be able to target the melanin.
Most people in good health are able to undergo the procedure. There are a few exceptions, however. You may not be able to get laser hair removal if:
- You are pregnant
- You are taking acne medication
- You have a lot of gray or white hair
- You are prone to cold sores
During your personal consultation, you’ll meet with a member of our team of expert laser technicians. They’ll be able to assess whether you’d be a good candidate for this procedure, and explain the kinds of results you can expect over the course of the treatments. We will ask some brief questions relating to your medical history and ask you about your skin health and medications. Once we’ve examined the area of concern, and determined that you’re a good candidate, we’ll schedule your first session! Come to see us at one of our offices in Fenton, Sterling Heights, or Livonia to find out if laser hair removal is right for you.
- Do not pluck or wax the area you wish to treat. These hair removal methods may affect the hair follicles. By avoiding these hair removal methods, you will be as prepared as possible for laser treatment.
- Stay out of the sun as much as possible in the weeks before your laser hair removal session. Tanning increases the risk of skin lightening and may negatively affect your outcomes.
- Discuss your skin care products during your consultation. There may be some that you will have to stop using before and after your treatment.
- The day of, or day prior to your appointment, thoroughly shave the treatment area. Use a brand new razor to minimize the risk of bacteria infiltrating the skin barrier.
- Come to your laser hair removal session with cleansed skin and in loose clothing.
Laser Hair Removal Procedure
Once you’re fully prepared, we will invite you into the treatment room to begin your laser hair removal procedure. Your laser technician will target the treatment area, passing the dual laser energy through the skin. The length of your treatment will depend on the size of the area, but most sessions are completed within one hour.
After the treatment is done, the area will be thoroughly cleansed. We may give you a personalized skincare regimen to follow, depending on your skin type. As there is no downtime, you are free to leave as soon as your treatment is complete.
There may be some swelling or redness in the treatment area in the first 24 hours after the treatment is completed. This is a normal and expected reaction that will subside quickly. If you have any questions about your recovery or you wish to discuss your next session, please call us directly!
Contact us today for more information about laser hair removal at Michigan’s premier laser center, Skin & Vein Center!
Cost of Laser Hair Removal in Detroit
The cost of your treatment is dependent on the location and size of the treatment area. Patients in Fenton, Sterling Heights, Livonia, and beyond can benefit from a tailored laser hair removal procedure at Skin & Vein Center. In the expert hands of our team, you can achieve silkier, smoother skin that lasts with Splendor X technology.
Book a session at one of Michigan’s top dermatology, derm spa, and cosmetic surgery locations. Contact (800) 400-8346 to arrange a laser hair removal session with us, and say goodbye to prickly, razor-burned skin!
For more information about our services, please read our informative blog.
- Tanvi Vaidya, & Dinesh Kumar D. (2019, June 2). Laser Hair Removal. Nih.gov; StatPearls Publishing. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507861/
- Vano-Galvan, S., & Jaen, P. (2009). Complications of nonphysician-supervised laser hair removal: case report and literature review. Canadian Family Physician Medecin de Famille Canadien, 55(1), 50–52. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2628842/
- Ogunbiyi, A. (2019). Pseudofolliculitis barbae; current treatment options. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology, 12, 241–247. https://doi.org/10.2147/CCID.S149250