Laser treatment of facial veins can help reduce those unsightly red veins, and pigment problems such as freckles, brown age spots and moles. Laser treatments provide excellent results with little to no discomfort.
Facial Spider Veins Treatment: Conditions Treated at the Skin and Vein Center
Vascular Lesions — A vascular lesion is formed by abnormally large or numerous blood vessels located directly under the skin that may be visible through the skin. Spider veins are the most common vascular lesion. Vascular lesions can include:
• Telangiectasia – facial spider veins caused by a dilation of capillary vessels or arterioles
• Cherry Angiomas – slightly raised, red lesions
• Spider Angiomas – slightly raised, red spider-like lesions
• Rosacea – red facial lesions around the nose and cheeks causing a sunburn look
Pigmented Lesions — Pigmented lesions occur when an abundance of melanocytes are found creating freckles, brown age spots, and moles. Pigmented lesions can include:
• Lentigines – a flat, brown spot on the skin present with frequent sun exposure
• Keratoses – slightly elevated pigmented spots often found on the back and hands
• Freckles – a brownish spot on the skin common on people with fair skin
• Dermatosis Papulosa Nigra – small, black marks seen primarily on people of Asian or African descent
How Does Facial Spider Veins Treatment Work?
The cosmetic laser will generate an intense beam of light, bringing energy to the treatment area. This beam of energy is absorbed by oxyhemoglobin, the bright red blood cells that carry oxygen and the melanin or pigment found in the skin. The energy causes destruction of the unwanted cells, while leaving surrounding healthy cells intact. This allows for an effective facial spider vein treatment, getting rid of broken capillaries on the face, along with other afflictions.
Facial Spider Vein Treatment Procedure and Aftercare
During the procedure, you will wear goggles to protect your eyes from the laser. The procedure will be done with the patient in a reclined position. A thin hand piece, about the size of a pencil, will direct the laser to the treatment area.
You may experience a slight stinging sensation. You may also see some redness that will usually go away within two to four hours. Some swelling may be experienced, with this lasting only a couple of days.
After your laser treatment of facial veins, you may be given topical anti-bacterial ointment. You should also stay out of the sun during the healing process. If you have other issues that require a dermatologist, check out all of our dermatology procedures here.
Laser Treatment Facial Veins & Vascular Birthmarks FAQ
- What is the laser treatment for facial veins procedure?
- A laser will generate an intense beam of light. This light energy is absorbed by the bright red blood cells that carry oxygen and the pigment in the skin. This energy will destroy unwanted cells, leaving healthy cells intact.
- What kind of anesthesia is used during laser treatment for facial veins?
- Generally, no anesthetic is required; however, some patients may be given a topical anesthetic.
- How can I prepare for laser treatment for facial veins?
- You should avoid tanning or using artificial tanning creams, as the extra pigment can increase the risk of burning. You may also need to discontinue any medication that can increase the chance of bruising.
- What can I expect during laser treatment for facial veins?
- You will wear protective eye goggles. The procedure is done while you are in a reclined position. You may experience a minor stinging sensation.
- What can I expect post-procedure?
- You may see some redness that will usually go away within two to four hours. Some swelling may be experience that will last just a couple of days. You may be given an antibacterial ointment, and you should avoid sun exposure.
- What is the recovery time for laser treatment for facial veins?
- There is little to no downtime or recovery period with laser treatments for facial veins.
- What are the risks associated with laser treatment for facial veins?
- Risks of laser treatment for facial veins are minimal, due to the low-risk nature of the procedure.
- What is the cost for laser treatment for facial veins?
- The cost for laser treatment for facial veins will be discussed at the time of the pre-operative visit.
- What is laser treatment for facial veins?
- Laser treatment for facial veins can be used to reduce unsightly red veins and pigment problems such as brown age spots, moles, and freckles.
- Who is a good candidate for laser treatment for facial veins?
- Anyone who wants to get rid of those unsightly facial veins and is in good health is a candidate for laser treatment for facial veins.