Laser treatment of facial veins can help reduce those unsightly red veins and pigment problems such as freckles, brown age spots and moles. Laser treatments provide excellent results with little to no discomfort.
Vascular Lesions — A vascular lesion is formed by abnormally large or numerous blood vessels located directly under the skin that may be visible through the skin. Spider veins are the most common type of vascular lesions. Vascular lesions can include:
• Telangiectasia – facial veins, spider veins caused by a dilation of capillary vessels or arterioles
• Cherry Angiomas – slightly raised, red lesions
• Spider Angiomas – slightly raised, red spider-like lesions
• Rosacea – red facial lesions around the nose and cheeks causing a sunburn look
Pigmented Lesions — Pigmented lesions occur when an abundance of melanocytes are found creating freckles, brown age spots, and moles. Pigmented lesions can include:
• Lentigines – a flat, brown spot on the skin present with frequent sun exposure
• Keratoses – slightly elevated pigmented spots often found on the back and hands
• Freckles – a brownish spot on the skin common on people with fair skin
• Dermatosis Papulosa Nigra – small, black marks seen primarily on people of Asian or African descent
The cosmetic laser will generate an intense beam of light, bringing energy to the treatment area. This beam of energy is absorbed by oxyhemoglobin, the bright red blood cells that carry oxygen and the melanin or pigment found in the skin. The energy causes destruction of the unwanted cells, while leaving surrounding healthy cells intact. This allows for an effective facial spider vein treatment, getting rid of broken capillaries on the face, along with other afflictions.
During spider vein treatments, you will wear goggles to protect your eyes from the laser. The laser treatment for spider veins will be done with the patient in a reclined position. A thin hand piece, about the size of a pencil, will direct the laser to the treatment area.
You may experience a slight stinging sensation. You may also see some redness that will usually go away within two to four hours. Some swelling may be experienced after the laser treatment for spider veins, with this lasting only a couple of days.
After your laser treatment of facial veins, you may be given topical antibacterial ointment. You should also stay out of the sun during the healing process. If you have other issues that require a dermatologist, check out all of our dermatology procedures here. Schedule a consultation with us today to learn more about vein disease, facial veins, including some myths about vein diseases that have spread misinformation.