Lower legs are the area of the body most susceptible to the protruding, bluish, purplish lumps of bulging varicose veins. Not only are these damaged veins unsightly, they’re also rather uncomfortable, causing aching, swelling, itching, and restlessness to those who bear them. If they go untreated, varicose veins can lead to much more serious health problems.
Though they most often appear on the lower half of the legs and mostly affect women, varicose veins can actually surface just about anywhere on the body. Here are 6 surprising areas of the body that are also prone to vein problems:
- Vaginal Venous Insufficiencies – It is actually possible to develop varicose veins around the vulva and vagina which can be incredibly uncomfortable for the women who develop them. Pelvic or ovarian vein reflux conditions, which often manifest themselves during pregnancy, can damage the surrounding veins and cause pelvic aching and pressure.
- Veins On or Around the Anus – One of the most uncomfortable places to develop varicose veins is along the exterior or interior of the anus. More commonly referred to as hemorrhoids, this condition affects millions of people every year for various reasons. Sometimes the hemorrhoids will disappear in time when pressure is kept off of the anus, while more severe cases may require the attention of a doctor for a long-term solution and complete removal of the damaged veins.
- Veins On the Breasts – Some women develop bulging blue veins on their breasts in their cleavage area which can make them very self-conscious. These veins are particularly prominent in those who have undergone implant surgery.
- Veins on the Arms & Hands – It’s not very common for varicose veins to appear on a person’s hands or arms, but it does happen. As a person ages, the layer of fat that typically covers obvious veins starts to thin out and veins beneath the surface become more apparent.
- Veins Around the Eyes – There are naturally veins around the eyes, the forehead, and the temples, but a layer of fat usually covers these veins from view. For others, these veins are more prominent and can result in a lack of self-confidence.
Thankfully, for any vein condition there is help at the Skin & Vein Center. We have treated every type of venous insufficiency and countless patients who have sought treatment, and we are here to do the same for you.